Thursday, February 24, 2011

Journal #2- NETS-T: 2a


Ferguson, H. (2010). Join the flock!. Learning and Leading with Technology, Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/Leading_and_Learning_Docs/June_July_2010_Join_the_Flock.sflb.ashx


In the article, "Join the Flock!", Ferguson uncovers the advantages to joining the "twitter" team.  I personally strongly agreed with the part focused on creating a community of individuals who are learning together.  I will admit that before taking this course and reading this article, I wasn't very impressed or too excited in joining twitter.  I was trying to avoid being "sucked in".  However, I must say that now I am beginning to see the advantages of such a system if used the appropriate way.  I also like the 140 character limit so that "there isn't much room to make a fool of yourself", that is genius.  It allows people to not beat around the bush with nonsense and get straight to the point.  We are all busy and sometimes, often times, less is more anyway.  Especially when leaving a link to something cool you discovered.  It allows for others to form their own opinions rather than just reading about yours.  I think hash tags are pretty useful.  It creates an even more intimate community where a certain group can talk even deeper about a particular subject.  I have become a fan of twitter and have already come across some pretty cool information and links.  I am excited to possibly use this as a tool in the classroom =)


Q:1: How would you incorporate Twitter into your classroom?

A:1: I would let students share any cool videos, pictures or ideas on a particular subject covered in class during that time.  I think that it is a great way for students to share information and learn from each other.

Q:2: In what ways could your teaching be improved through Twitter?

A:2: By using hash tags, I could have groups work together.  For group projects this would be most helpful when passing information between only a selected few students rather than having the entire class receive information that is not relevant to a particular project.

No comments:

Post a Comment