Thursday, March 3, 2011

Journal 5 NETS-T 3d

Boehmer, C. (2011, February). Brain training with video games. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition-february-march-2011.aspx


What a great article to read!  It seems as though this information is shocking news to some, however, I was thinking it was more like common sense finally coming out in people.  I grew up playing Nintendo and Sega, which seem all too ancient these days.  I was feeling like I could take on the video games and the even more complicated controllers.  After attempting to keep up with my younger cousins on the cool video games out today, I was quite emberassed.  I had my 7 year old cousin telling me how to make moves and which routes to take and weapons to use.  
The article focuses on developing the underlying mental process.  Some of the skills mentioned are: attention skills, visualization, sequential processing, ability to see patterns an understanding relationships.  Why not incorporate video games in schools? Seems like a no brainer when you ask me. Tests were done and results showed significant improvement in students who were "falling behind" and scoring low on tests.  Video games help students think and solve problems as well as overcome difficulties.  Great Article! Loved it!  


Q1: Why do you think some would be hesitant to let video games in schools?
A1: I think some would be hesitant because they assume that video games mean nonsense.  It is those people who need to sit down and actually try to play a video game that involves strategy and problem solving.  I think most would be amazed at how developed these games have become.  


Q2: How can video games help students who struggle?
A1: As I mentioned before, I think that there is more thinking involved when playing games.  Students would be able to practice their underlying mental processes such as, attention to details, taking notes if need be, and understanding relationships.  These skills are transferable into other areas such as math, science and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment