Monday, January 24, 2011

Meet Rosie B.


My name is Rosie Banuelos.  I was born and raised in San Diego.  I attended St. Mary's Catholic School in Escondido until 2nd grade.  I then transitioned into public school, attended Miller Elementary, Del Dios Middle School and San Pasqual High School, all located in Escondido.  I received a full athletic scholarship to play field hockey and attended my first two years of College at Old Dominion University in Norfolk,Va.  I competed in the Final Four my Freshman year, and Elite 8 my Sophmore year.  Field Hockey was my entire life for those two years.  I did manage a little study time with Graphic Design while I was there.  They say "student-athlete" however, it's more like "athlete-student".  I then transferred from the hard core hockey and finished my last two years at UC Berkeley where I completed my last two years of eligibility and studied Sociology.  I am currently coaching at the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista.  I coach U16 girls in Olympic Development Skills.  I love giving back to my sport and working with young women who are looking to play Collegiate Hockey.  I am also pursuing a career as a Speech Pathologist.  I am hoping to get into the Master's program of Communicative Sciences and Disorders here at CSUSM.  This class is one of the pre-requisites for the 5 semester long program.  I am super excited and ready to start!  I recently got engaged and through all this madness, trying to plan a wedding for this May, I know, I'm crazy.

Where am I on the technology continuum? Well, I would say I can get by or find a way to figure things out, however, I know my life could probably be a little easier if I learn to take full advantage of what technology has to offer.  I have been using Mac for a few years now and am really happy I made the switch.  I look forward to learning how to be more computer savy.

After reading the College of Education Mission Statement, I strongly agree with it all.  I especially like the part about transforming public education by preparing thoughtful educators and advancing professional practices.  I believe that as future Educators, we must constantly grow and be willing to adapt and remain open-minded.  I feel that technology will bring many helpful ways/ideas/methods to teach and learn.  I look forward to working with technology services in the future as a Speech Therapist.

7 comments:

  1. Rosie,

    How did you go from being raised in beautiful sunny San Diego to Norfolk VA!! I honestly don't think I would have made it in the cold. I chose some place even hotter-Arizona! haha Congrats on the engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love youre little background about yourself! Youve done some amazing things :o)
    Congratulations on your engagement, that is really exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosie, that's funny my grandmother lived in Rockdale, TX. And yes, it was nowheresville. Wow that's awesome you are still involved with the sport you love. And you went to my dream school, UC Berkeley. I bet you loved it there. I was also curious about why you love your Mac over other PC's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rosie,

    Very brave planning a wedding during the semester. I know..I just got married last semester :) It's stressful and I found myself drinking a lot of caffeine but in the end and on your special day it will all be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a love for sports, well hockey, and I can see this in your post. That is truly amazing because most women do not play hockey and it is awesome that you do. You have seemed to accomplish so much, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rosie:)

    We met last year. I waited on your family at the Brigantine. Neways, Congrats on the engagement!! You sound like you have a very busy schedule! I love sports as well and have always had a passion for soccer and teaching! It is good to see you:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rosie, Congrats on the engagement!!!! I really admire what you do at the Olympic Training Center. I hope all goes well... and the wedding gets planned ;)

    ReplyDelete